Friday, March 22, 2019

People's assembly, Policing a Nation



This post is dedicated to my final Action Project for my Winter term Humanities course called A Nations Argument. The third unit focused on the 1960’s and we focused on civil rights and the bill of rights. I learned about Dialectics and how they connect to argument. In one of my last classes for this course, my classmates and I attended an online Yale lecture. We also attended two other lectures in the previous units. In this specific lecture, the lectern was Professor Jonathan Holloway. He discussed the civil rights era and events within 1964-1966. I think this is my favorite lecture so far.


KS, DS, Policing Assembly, 2019

We started the unit off with our Action project. My classmates and I hosted a people’s assembly with the help of a Regina Holloway, a senior program manager for the NYU School of Law Policing Project. To prepare, my class divided into 3 teams, people research, topic research, and agenda managers. I was apart of the people research team. We invited Regina, 2 other community activist and a Police Sergeant, who’s taking apart of the Policing Projects pilot. We used this as an opportunity to discuss what we researched and ultimately get different perspectives in our community of Chicago.

There was really helpful conversation. I wish that we had more time and my classmates and I got to share more of our opinions and experiences but it was very informative. We started off with the conversation of policing in schools and here’s where you’ll see how I put my skills of dialectics to the test and break down one of the arguments used in our discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The inclination & Human impact of Biodiversity

This is my final AP of my senior year. For my class frontiers, I wrote a research paper on one of the Grand Challenges. I chose challenge ...