Monday, March 25, 2019

Chicago; The City That Works

The City That Works is a project that I did for my photojournalism course. For the winter term, I took an independent study in Photojournalism. In order for me to take this course, I had to do a proposal. I chose to focus on this subject because it's something that I've been passionate about and I wanted to dedicate more of my time to it and figure out what I truly enjoyed about it. One of my inspirations coming into this class was Vice's style of documentation and Adrienne Salinger's "In My Room" project. I started the course off with research. I learned about influential photographers in the community like Larry Clark and Erika Bowes. That was probably my favorite part of the course because I learned so much about the development of different styles and how important photography is to me. It was really fun to look at the process of some well known photographers. Here's some of my favorite works that I discovered:
Philip-Lorca diCorcia, DeBruce, 1999
Nan Goldin, Misty and Jimmy Paulette in a taxi, NYC, 1991


At first, I didn't know what I wanted to make as a project to show of what I learned. I knew I wanted to interview people because that's something that I enjoy because it allows you to know the subject beyond the photo. The process of finding out what to wasn't that hard but I had to be practical and consider who I had access to. A consistent thought was I wanted to document people doing what they love or something important to them. It then came apparent that I should do workers in Chicago and it was a good opportunity to have an insight of how this city is actually ran beyond the politicians and news casters.


Overall, I'm so glad that I proposed this independent study. This was a great opportunity for me and a great learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The inclination & Human impact of Biodiversity

This is my final AP of my senior year. For my class frontiers, I wrote a research paper on one of the Grand Challenges. I chose challenge ...