Wednesday, March 18, 2020

How can I use computer science to make music? :D

         I've been learning coding since the beginning of my senior year in a computer science workshop. In the workshop, we've learned different functions using the Python computer language. This workshop has been consistently challenging my intellect and curiosity since September. Glad to say, for this past winter term, there's been a rise in my engagement to computer science. The assignments have become more and more enjoyable, although still onerous.

         For my final presentation, I wanted to commit a little bit more time to an assignment that I completed this term...



 I used a software package, called Earsketch. With this software package, I was able to write music using Python. Here you can see two different screenshots where you can compare when I just started assembling together the different codes and instruments versus when all of the code was put together.

AFTER, MW, 2020
What is typed -
init()
setTempo(120)
fitMedia(RD_RNB_JUPITERPAD_3, 1, 2,7)
fitMedia(RD_TRAP_BASSDROPS_2, 2, 5, 11)
fitMedia (YG_NEW_FUNK_KEYS_1, 4, 10, 24)
for i in range (3):
  fitMedia (HOUSE_ACOUSTIC_PIANO_003, 3, 1, 18
  )
for i in range (3):
  fitMedia (RD_RNB_JUPITERPAD_3, 1, 10, 31
  )
fitMedia (HOUSE_ACOUSTIC_PIANO_003, 5, 23, 25)
fitMedia(HOUSE_DEEP_CHORD_001, 2, 25, 30)

finish()

This was really fun to do. I found myself getting even more familiar with doing the codes as I went on. I wanted to add a part of my voice in it, which I did towards the end but Soundcloud cut it short. Honestly, I do see myself doing this again for a longer track just for fun. It felt as if I was learning a language, which I was, Python! Taking this course and continuing on with this assignment helped me realize how essential computer science is to our daily functioning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The inclination & Human impact of Biodiversity

This is my final AP of my senior year. For my class frontiers, I wrote a research paper on one of the Grand Challenges. I chose challenge ...