Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Policy Podcast; Terminiello v. Chicago (1949)



I'm closing the Chapter for junior year humanity courses. That means that I'm ending my policy course. This course was different for me. I never learned about the government in such an extensive way as we did this term. I'm grateful for everything that I learned about because now my classmates and I have more knowledge on what it means to be a citizen of America, as well as learning different perspectives outside of American citizenship. The first unit we learned about the Legislative branch, the second unit, we learned about the Executive branch. In this unit, we learned what the Judicial branch of the government is all about. Learning about the government, we of course will see some terms that aren't common so my teacher gave us some legal terminology to define. Knowing those terms, it made subjects easier to comprehend. I now understand how a case reaches the Supreme Court. While understanding the process of a case being handled, I got to get to know more of what it means for something to be constitutional or not. So, with learning about the supreme court, we researched different cases, specifically all of the landmark cases, such as Roe v. Wade and Brown v, Board of education. This might've been the most impactful unit for me because I really got a sense of how change happens within the legal world. Some of the cases were even inspiring because it shows that change is worth fighting for and without the fight, nothing will change.

To represent everything that I learned this unit, I made a podcast talking about Terminiello v. Chicago (1949).




There are a lot of interesting and necessary Supreme Court cases, it's not easy to just pick one to look more into. I first thought that I was going to choose Tinker v. Des Moines but someone recommended me to look at Terminiello v. Chicago and I never heard about it. I chose this case after looking at it more because I though it was more interesting than my former choice, although they both have to do with our First amendment rights. I enjoyed making this podcast and while trying to explain what I learned, I even ended up learning more.

Citations
“{{Meta.pageTitle}}.” {{Meta.siteName}}, www.oyez.org/cases/1940-1955/337us1.

“Terminiello v. Chicago, 337 U.S. 1 (1949).” Justia Law, supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/337/1/.

Reports of cases adjudged in the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania : [1828-1835] / by William Rawle, jun. ; with notes referring to cases in the subsequent reports by William Wynne Wister, jun

No comments:

Post a Comment

The inclination & Human impact of Biodiversity

This is my final AP of my senior year. For my class frontiers, I wrote a research paper on one of the Grand Challenges. I chose challenge ...